Popular Posts

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Acting Without Action: The Art of Falling

On the day of the raid from Health Canada and the College of Pharmacists, there came a point when it became hard to see through the frustration, disappointment, and  simmering anger.

Over time, I had to learn the lessons of falling. Only by  doing so. was it possible to accept the events as part of a greater unfolding. 


Acting without Action

Taking no action is anathema to the extreme sense of urgency. In an immediate crisis, the natural response is to do something; to act upon, to react. The next obvious step to take is not necessarily the best one. The next step might be to step back, allowing one to notice the subtle lay of the grass which may well be the path. But, this takes clarity, concentration and resolve. It requires a stutter: to stop and not do anything .

Take a step back, then another step back, then another. 

When everyone else is saying take action; take no action. Accept inaction as a form of action.

As the inspectors started to act on their mission , it became very hard to watch. They started emptying shelves of products, throwing them into boxes. There was no attempt  to keep jars upright, or use packing material. The bottles of tinctures clang together in protest. ( We don't want to go. Let us stay on the shelf, all in tidy rows!) 

The boxes filled and soon littered the floor of the store. Boxes all in a row, waiting for the pick up. The inspectors had to walk around them as they were too heavy to move when they tried to push them with their feet.The boxes lay there in curvy rows, like the hay bales on a Merville field.  As the inspectors completed filling one box, they then filled up the next. The strapping tape made a loud sound as the boxes were taped shut. Raackk. Raackk.  Another box finished. 

The movements of the inspectors were brisk and methodical. They were working hard. They might as well be baling hay. There were boxes filled with over $5,000 worth of inventory per box. It reminded me of moving day. 

The boxes were loaded into a u-haul truck parked outside. Sad, NPN-less, bales of hay.

Falling

I could not stay in the store and watch. It was heart-breaking. The staff and customers had immediately been asked to leave, so I was the only one in the store with the six inspectors and two RCMP officers. My throat was getting dry and my legs felt bloodless. I  decided to go home. I gave them my phone number and told them I would be returning at the end of the day.

It was nice to walk in the sunshine. I walked around the block twice and I felt better. I thought of things that I could do in the middle of the day. Normally, I would not be able to leave the store (as pharmacists are required to be in the premises as long as the store was open). Simply walking around in the sun in the middle of the day was a strange enough experience. I watched people walking down 5th Street. I could easily be one of them,  just going about my list of things to do on a sunny downtown Monday. 

What would be on my list? The first thing that I thought of was to get some guitar strings, as my favorite guitar store was closed on my regular day off. I then realized that I did not have a vehicle. 

I decided to take the bus home and caught the 12:20 No.4. I was pretty proud of myself because:
1. I knew where the bus stop was
2. I had change and I knew how much
3. I got on the right bus

Sitting on the bus, I was thankful for how it goes around and around, and back and loop-de-loop, taking its time to go through all the smaller streets.

It gave me time to fall.

Falling is an art. How to fall involves reducing the action to its basics.

Removing obstructions (you do not want to fall into sharp objects, for sure).
Removing paraphernalia (you do not want to fall with a computer laptop in your bag).
Removing distractions (you do not want to be falling worrying about your expensive linen suit).

While I was in the bus falling, I reduced myself to my very very basic being.

Remove the layer of worry. Everything will work out to its natural conclusion.
Remove the layer of responsibility. Feeling responsible for our staff, I knew that we were blessed with dedicated people who truly believe in what we do at a very deep level.
Remove the layer of doubt. What we do is important. Not only important in terms of improving health, but maybe, a new importance in uncovering the politics of health care.  The truth is healthy.
Remove the layer of pride. There will be people who will  question the events and judge, but it does not change me and it does not change what we do. The sky is still blue after the day is gone.
       
And when everything was removed, I was left only with my belief in myself. 
And that belief is true and it is intact.
And that belief is all I need.
In the bus, I ended up almost whispering: if I am true to that belief, then this too shall pass.

And then, the most frightening thought that ever happens to every married man:
How to explain this to my wife.


My wife apparently, knows the art of falling just fine. She will get big-upset if the kids leave a plate of lasagna in the  living room. But a raid + seizure + lock-down? She was calm and focused. She actually said these words..."You know, this might be a good thing."


The Three Treasures
The three treasures of the Tao Te Ching are restraint, compassion and love. All actions, to be effective, have to be true to these themes  at all times.

If the fight against intolerance is with anger, any victory is hollow. If our actions are driven by the wrong motives (pick any of the three: ego, greed or vanity) and not by love, then any achievement is temporary. We have to love what we do, we have to be compassionate about  each person we deal with. We have to behave with restraint. If we do, then what we do will be honest and true and lasting.

To act without action means that in the end, the obstacles put in our way makes us stronger and more committed. Water will always find its own way: It may take time, but it will find its own way and the only requirement of me is to get out of the way and be ready to see the answer when it presents itself. 

I can not see through the fog. I wait for it to lift.
I can not see through a dirty window. I wash it first.
I can not see with a headache. I sip a drink of tea.
I can not see with my eyes closed.  I open them.

I shall fall with grace.
I shall wait with restraint.

What awaits is beautiful and perfect.

Epilogue

They left the store at 11:30 PM. We heard movement in the lobby and cars starting. They did not say goodbye. They left through the receiving door and the store was suddenly empty. On the counter was a list of the inventory taken. It was 46 pages long.

18 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Rudy. Truly tragic circumstances. I was outside your store the other day reading the announcement, there were several of us. I watched people head toward to the door opening it with such certainty and then, the door doesn't open? Why? What will we do without our natural alternatives and the valuable information from the exceptionally knowledgeable Rudy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rudy - We support you and your store. And we are thankful for your careful reflection in this process and appreciate that your belief remains intact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rudy,

    Dear Rudy, The way you express yourself, with such heart and soul, is one of the reasons we love your service. We come from Chilliwack to shop at your store and know, with confidence, that you, no matter now busy, will take time to answer our questions. My family depends upon you, as do many of our friends. We will all write letters of support. You are unique and fill a gaping hole in the community. Please know how much you matter and how valued a service you provide.
    Jo-Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rudy,
    I have never been to your store, and work at a health food store down in Victoria. I heard of your situation today, and it deeply affects me. I cannot believe that these government officials work for "the people" and even sadder yet, work for "Health" Canada. Do they have any idea what true health is? Or are they being guided by money, which is the farthest thing from true health...
    I will say that I am going to let people know your story, and let my voice be heard so that your voice may be heard.
    Please let us know, via your blog, if you need anything, as perhaps we can help.
    Thank you for blogging about this, and know we are sending you strength and hope and faith in this moment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely store Rudy and our whole family has used various products from you with good success. We will gladly write a detailed letter of support on your behalf. Thank you for presenting the facts in a very well-stated way. You have our continued support I will post notices around our building to try to gather interest and more letters of support.

    Sincerely.

    Ryan and Severine

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a great healer and truth lover, and very calm, cool and collected as well. Bill C-51, now Bill C-6, is a disservice to the public interest and the public's health. Health Canada is the employee of big pharma and big agribusiness and puts Canadian's health at risk. Declare your store sovereign and file a claim of right in the public interest. Research Robert: Menard and Mary:Croft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not inured yet to the ever tightening grasp on the people's throat, I was outraged anew to hear of the fate of Rudy Sanchez' Marigold Natural Pharmacy in the picturesque Comox Valley.

    That's on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. Not Burma, or North Korea; not the dark dictatorships of the 'Stans', but located in beautiful downtown Courtenay.

    That's where the State police, backed by the nameless heroes of Health Department bureaucracy, raided the midtown landmark, rifled its shelves, and carted off its inventory of herbs and healing potions.

    It is as one commenting on this attack at Marigold blog likened it, the witch hunts all over.

    Rudy responded at his website writing;

    "On the day of the raid from Health Canada and the College of Pharmacists, there came a point when it became hard to see through the frustration, disappointment, and simmering anger. Over time, I had to learn the lessons of falling. Only by doing so was it possible to accept the events as part of a greater unfolding."

    Rudy Sanchez' complete article is as edifying as it is enlightening on this despicable turn of event, and what it bodes for the health of those in Canada and beyond. You can read the entire piece here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marigolds continue to shed Light on the Truth, all in full bloom just for you (in our Secret Garden corner 5th & England) Today planting more Marigolds in our garden in the Land of Oz.....
    Namaste
    Janette & Alan
    Founders ZenZero-the Secret of Health Inc and Seed Sowers of the Secret Garden in Courtenay - now living in Australia (The Land of Oz)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am deeply saddened to see your store closed down. I hope it gets open soon. Been wanting some advice from you about something and now cannot ask you because you are now closed. I read your words and it was well written. Thank you for writing this and I have a better understanding in what took place in your store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Marigolds so deeply and I am very sad that this is happening. I can't help but think of the bible story of David and Goliath. You are our David. Marigolds is such a wonderful place of health. A really special place. To see it shut like this reveals so much about our "handlers". I hope the doors will open soon. For ethical reasons as well as because my arm pits are getting to be a source of contention in my home... I simply NEED to get some pit paste! Proud customer or Marigold Natural Pharmacy, Chelsea Holley

    ReplyDelete
  12. What bitter-sweet writing - it brought a tear to my eye for more reasons than just the beautiful words. I am so incredibly sad to learn that this gross infringement on our personal health freedom choices is actually happening in our freedom-loving Canada. As I gaze outside at the mountains today, I feel as though everything has been tainted by this incomprehensible event!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am outraged that a raid like this can possibly happen in Canada!! I thought we lived in the land of the free ,how heart wrenching for you, Rudy, and your wife.I will be writing a letter to my MLA. After one consultation with you and using the recommended compounded products that you suggested,I have not been sick with allergies,sinus , pneumonia,etc..........the first winter ever, and I mean EVER! I do hope you will be able to open your pharmacy again,soon. A strong supporter of Marigold Pharmacy.
    Ruthie Shewan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Friday, June 25, 2010
    Marigold
    My Marigold was closed down
    by jack boot RCMP pharmacists
    baring some bill of legislation
    marigold can no longer compound
    natural medicines for healing
    we are in the dark ages again
    Marigold who are you marigold
    the man behind the desk was
    gentle and kind intelligent wise
    the goons of the pharmacology
    wrecked the store shelve order
    throwing medicines into boxes
    they are a law until them selves
    I go next door to the politican
    demand that he correct this matter
    but he is a critic of indian affairs
    so I left a note for him to act
    my natural medicine that I need
    for my gland sits on a shelf or
    maybe it is thrown into a box
    they have some law some bill
    that gives them the right to
    enter a busy place of healing
    and close them down them
    men in suits of pharmacology
    they take away oil of oregano
    Posted by sheila simpson

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is there any interest in having a gathering of folks here in the valley soon, with Rudy and his staff of course, to share ideas, brainstorm, take some steps, ??? Maybe even a potluck so we can nurture ourselves together? I feel like someone cut off my right arm because I can no longer go to Marigold to pick up the salves and items I want :( Eileen Nielsen, Reg. Jin Shin Do Acupressurist.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is indeed a sad state of affairs, one that goes far beyond the personal loss of Marigold's owner and staff, to question the flexibility of Canada's heath policy. I support your cause and hope that some sanity, and a more accepting policy will emerge....sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We will be strong and we will fight to do what we love; helping our friends, family and community obtain optimal vitality naturally is not optional. We think of you everyday as this could have been us watching what we work so hard to build everyday simply be ripped apart with no remorse.
    Kimberly from Pure

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rudy Sanchez has been my pharmacist for five years. I first went to him when he was the pharmacist for a local store. At the time I was undergoing treatments for ovarian cancer which involved surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. During that time and since that time I have had doctors prescriptions filled by Rudy for the treatment of high cholesterol, diabetes, pain medication, sleeping, and anxiety. In addition while undergoing chemotherapy – losing my hair, I had a very hot and uncomfortable scalp with prickly heat on my bald head. Rudy suggested witch hazel and it was great to have a soothing relief for my scalp. Rudy also filled a prescription for a mouth wash that was developed for a sore mouth that can develop from Chemotherapy.

    When Rudy started up Marigold Pharmacy, I moved with him and continued to have my prescriptions filled by him. In addition, my husband used some of the products Rudy developed for skin conditions which worked very well.

    I was very suprised when I went to town to Marigold to have my regular prescriptions filled and found it was closed!

    Rudy Sanchez brought a combination of knowledge of regular medicines in addition to the many alternative products including the ones he made up that gave my husband and I good practical help where a prescription would not help.

    I fully support Rudy in his endeavours to get Marigold Pharmacy opened and operating in the same way it has been for a number of years.

    Yours truly,
    Norah Tylor

    ReplyDelete