One of the givens in achieving health, maintaining energy, reaching vitality and increasing immunity is a proper body pH. The surety of this all-in-one season's pass to good health is based on the fact that our body contains about 60% water. Our being in balance is dependent on a large part on the chemistry of acids and alkalis.
Human blood is slightly alkaline, maintained to precision by the body’s systems to operate between a very narrow range of 7.35 and 7.45. If the pH falls below 6.8 or rises above 7.8, it has a very immediate effect: cells die. That is how important acid-alkali balancing is.
Here are the top ten tips in achieving a perfect body pH.
1. Eat more vegetables. Put two hands out, that's how much vegetables. Put one hand out, that's how much carbs. Put the fingers of one hand together, that's how much protein. Stick your thumb out as if hitching for a ride, that's how much fat.
Vegetables are alkaline producing and carbohydrates (starches, breads, sugars) and protein (fish, meat, dairy ) are acid-producing. At every meal, balance alkaline foods to acidic foods at a ratio of 70% to 30%. It does not work if you have a salad for lunch (good) and a KD for dinner (bad), as the neutralizing effect of the vegetables happens if present at the same meal.
2. Avoid coffee. The acidifying effect will last for several hours. Four cups of coffee a day will create an acid storm which can last for the entire day. If you are after the caffeine, then it is better to have an expresso or an americano.
3. Choose carbohydrates carefully, restricting choices to carbs with a low glycemic index. Reduce sugary snacks. This will include chocolate, cookies, doughnuts and cakes, pastries and desserts. Since you’re skipping the coffee anyway, that doughnut won’t be the same.
4. Limit the consumption of dairy products. You may consider switching to almond milk, which is lower in fat, protein and sugar. And: it does not complicate the hormone thing.
5. Drink sufficient amount of water and absolutely avoid carbonated soft drinks. It is a very potent combination of sugar, carbonic acid and phosphoric acid. It will essentially deplete calcium instantly. Carbonated drinks have a pH value of about 2.8. Since the pH system is exponential, this is about 100,000 times more acidic than water.
6.Drink lemon water. Lemons maybe acidic, but once digested, they form alkali residues which are left to neutralize acidic foods.
7. Eat fermented foods such as fermented sauerkraut, specially at the beginning of a meal. Bacteria and enzymes create a digestion factory that will neutralize acids. There are now enzyme supplements cultured in yeast for this purpose.
8. Apple cider vinegar taken at the start of a meal supplies a neutralizing agent for acidifying foods. Make sure you choose a brand with at least 5% Acetic Acid. Cider Press in Courtenay makes a beautiful pristine product with 6% Acetic Acid.
9. Take a supplement of colloidal minerals. These will scavenge for acid fragments and comb the landscape for acids. There are many excellent choices made from sea vegetables, algae and plankton that are packed with trace minerals that will do the trick.
10.Reduce stress. Stress produces more acid. Acid will destroy cells. Stress can be very distressful to cell function…so you may be sorry for the worry. OK, I’ll stop now.
If you want more information, we can provide you with a complete list of acid-alkali foods and a recipe list of perfectly tantalizing, but alkalizing meals.